I’m a Leitrim lass who moved to Northern Ireland to study and was charmed into staying by a Belfast biker. We have settled ourselves into a small cabin near the lake shore and try to keep the noise down in our bee loud glade.
I write poetry, short stories and memoir to clear my head of shenanigans. I also have a couple of plays and a novella hiding in the wings.
I started this blog as an experiment in 2016. My dog had much more to say than I had. As a result the blog has been neglected because I realise that the creatures that keep me company are much more interesting than I am.
I used to be scared to release anything into the wild. A stint at the John Hewitt International Summer school in 2016 made me realise that being a writer was not something to be afraid of. It was there that I met some of the members of Women Aloud Northern Ireland. I joined their ranks when I came home. The feedback and support I have received from them has nudged my confidence up a notch.
These days, I throw finished work into the ether without a backwards glance. Thankfully, all my babies have been re-homed with good people that only want the best for them.
I am working on my first anthology of poetry.
- Commended in the Forty Words Poetry Competition, The Bangor Literary Journal Feb (2018).
- Shortlisted, North West Words/Donegal Creameries 2017 Poetry Competition (Jan 2018).
- The Leitrim Guardian 2018 Literary Award for Poetry (Nov 2017).
- The Leitrim Guardian 2017 Literary Award for Poetry (Nov 2016).
Bursary for the John Hewitt International Summer School (2016).My first blog post is about surviving those six days.
Long listed for the Over the Edge New Writer of the Year awards in 2013.
Publications and Radio
- New Original Writing: Poems for Valentines, Lagan Online, Feb 2018
- The Power of Words: Holocaust Memorial e- pamphlet & New Original Writing: Poems for Valentine’s, Lagan Online, Jan 2018
- Noble Dissent Anthology by Beautiful Dragons Press, edited by Rebecca Bilkau, 2017.
- A New Ulster – The Hidden and the Divine: Female Voices in Ireland 2017.
- The Leitrim Guardian 2015, 2017 & 2018.
- Several Reflection pieces on BBC Radio Ulster’s Time of our Lives 2016 & 2017.
- Fermanagh Writer’s Tails of the Unexpected (2015) & Remembering and Forgetting Anthologies (2017).
- The Bee’s Breakfast Anthology by Beautiful Dragons Press, edited by Rebecca Bilkau, 2017.
- Number Eleven Magazine 2017.
- Spark Magazine 2016.
- Poetry In Motion’s New Belfast Poetry Map (2011) & Making Memories Anthologies (2016).
- The Galway Review (online edition) 2015.
- Ireland’s Own 2013.